Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 2000 00:04:02 -0500
From:      shashi <shashi@Shift-F1.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: booting from CDROM fails

Mike Meyer worked magic with the keyboard on Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 04:28:26PM -0600:
> shashi <shashi@Shift-F1.com> types:
> > Hi all,
> > I have never had this problem before so am not sure how to handle this.
> > I added a new hard disk to my computer (4th SCSI disk) which already had
> > 3.4-stable. everything was fine. I could mount the CDROM.
> >
> > then i said,let me install 4.0 from the DCROM.
>
> You didn't mention any IDE devices, so I'm going to assume you don't
> have any.

	That is right, all disks and CDROM are SCSI.

> Question 1: Have you ever booted off that CDROM drive? Are you sure it
> can be done at all?

	Yes, that is how I installed the FreeBSD 3x earlier.

> Question 2: What are your SCSI settings? On my SCSI system, it goes
> "Boot, option to do BIOS setup. Probe SCSI card, option to do SCSI
> setup. Etc." The SCSI settings have to tag the CDROM drive as
> bootable. Further, the BIOS settings for this are "Boot from SCSI",
> whether I'm booting from the disk or CDROM on the SCSI chain.

	I have Adaptec AHA 2940 Ultra/Ultra W
	When I go in the SCSI setup by pressing Ctlr-A, I can see all the SCSI
	disks and CDROM in the SCSI Utilities.
	In the Configure/View Devices, it does not let me change anything. The
	"Boot Device Option" lists ID 5 as Bootable but there is no device on
	that ID and it doesn't let me change it.
	Under "advanced Settings", I have "Plug and Play SCAM" = Disabled
	"Support Removable Disks under BIOS" = "Boot Only"
	"BIOS support for Bootable CD" = "Enabled"

	I checked the connection inside, the CD is connected. I was able to
	mount the CD when the 3.4 was working.

	I was able to boot a Windows 2000 CD though!! So that is even more
	amazing. I was not able to boot a 4.0 or 3.2 FreeBSD CD. It is just
	getting more and more confusing :-(

TIA,
Shashi