Date:      Sat, 14 Mar 1998 12:59:54 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        eivind@yes.no (Eivind Eklund)
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, hasty@rah.star-gate.com
Subject:   Re: "Windows 98"

> I don't have a 5246 :-( I'd have to go with the soft decoding, but it
> was somewhat difficult to extract just the right parts to add to the
> brooktree driver.  You wouldn't happen to have lying around a patch
> that contains just that stuff (doesn't have to apply, just have the
> correct pieces of code, so I can see which parts are relevant to the
> ttext decoding)?

it's been quite some time... and no i don't have patches right now. The
main differences were:
- definition of a new "format" (in practice, i just modified the SECAM
entry which was of no use here) to capture only the VBI lines (7 to 22
or so) with the highest available horiz. resolution, and no interleave.

- definition of some new ioctl (like LUMA COMB etc, i think they have
even got into the current driver) to disable the chroma subcarrier
filtering etc, so that the high frequency components of the tetetext
data were not cut too much;

- (probably) implementation of the read() call to make life easier
  to the application program.

after that, the application only had to do resampling of the signal,
locate the sync bytes, etc. etc.

	cheers
	luigi