Date:      Sat, 17 Jun 2000 21:40:11 +0400
From:      "Artem Koutchine" <matrix@chat.ru>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Backup tools/strategy

Hi!

I am trying to select the right backup tool for backin up
my filesystem. As I understand i have a choice of
dump, tar, cpio. TAR and CPIO also need some sort
of external logic, wich will determine what file to
backup.

Dump is good (accroding to what man says), but has
a very bad feature - i cannot browse the archive
visually (say, wich midnight commander) and i coould
not find a way to make it compress the files it backups.

What i need is:
1) A smart backupper which can do incremental backup
since given date and have a flexibale setup on what to
backup. I backup to another HDD and it is mounted
as a filesystem. at least the backupper need to skip the
backup filesystem itself
2) A way to visually browse the backup archive and
restore seelcted files/directories
3) The backupper MUST compress the backups (better
with gzip)

My stategy is: 1 full backup every sunday morning, incremental
each day since the last incremental. I have 4GB system disk with
a lot of very important data and hosting clients and 17GB backup
disk. Backup drive is unmounted after the backup.
I also do media tests on the backup drive, industrial UPS installed
(invertor), so i am pretty sure that everything should be fine

Any suggestions on the software or should i write it myself?

Artem
matrix@chat.ru