Date:      Wed, 25 Mar 2020 11:10:21 +0000
From:      Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org>
To:        Mateusz Piotrowski <0mp@FreeBSD.org>, Ruben Schade <newsgroups@rubenschade.com>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: drm-kmod on a ThinkPad T550

On 25/03/2020 10:54, Mateusz Piotrowski wrote:
> On 3/25/20 11:26 AM, Arthur Chance wrote:
>> On 25/03/2020 07:50, Ruben Schade wrote:
>>> I bought myself a second-hand Broadwell ThinkPad T550 for my birthday!
>>> Everything else works well out of the box with amd64 12.1-RELEASE, but I
>>> can't get drm-kmod working.
>> sysrc sets variables in /etc/rc.conf. IIRC the module needs to be loaded
>> at boot time so you need to edit /boot/loader.conf.
> It is not be necessary to load this driver via loader.conf(5) as far as
> I know. I always load it via rc.conf(5) and it works just fine.

You're right. From https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics

Example Configuration For Post Broadwell System

A common configuration is a user who has an Intel laptop with a Kabylake
Intel i915 HD Graphics chip. To enable the chipset one would follow
these instructions:

    Install the drm-kmod package

        $ sudo pkg install drm-kmod

    Take note of the post-install package message as it contains
important information - specifically add this to your /etc/rc.conf or
/etc/rc.conf.d/intel file:

        kld_list="/boot/modules/i915kms.ko"

    Ensure your UID is a member of the "video" group.

    Restart your system; you should see the i915kms.ko get loaded and a
flash on your console as we switch over to the new display driver.

    Start Xorg via your usual method (i.e. startx, GDM, etc.)

--
Violets are red
And roses are blue