Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 1996 16:20:43 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Hung Michael Nguyen <miker@cs.utexas.edu>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        mark@plato.ucsalf.ac.uk, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Opinions? NT VS UNIX, NT SUCKS SOMETIMES

> In BSD, I can add service A by appending to /etc/rc.local during
> install.
>
> I can then add service B by doing the same thing.
>
> Now I want to deinstall service A... I am screwed because:
>
> 1)	I can't stop the service by name unless it's exactly one
> 	process, or I do a whole lot of work that has to be
> 	duplicated over and over for each package because the
> 	support infrastructure is non-existent.
>
> 2)	I can't automatically hack the file, because I may not
> 	have tagged the file in such a way that it's editable, and
> 	since we allow users to hack the file as well as allowing
> 	install scripts to hack the file, we can never be sure that
> 	we would be removing the right thing anyway.
>
> 3)	I can't automatically start the service in the same way that
> 	I would start the service on system initialization without
> 	a reboot, because the start "script" is now homogenized into
> 	the rc.local and forever unuasable on a per item basis.
>
> Conclusion: the rc file crap is just that, crap, regardless of our
> historical love affair with it as being "the BSD way".

Despite also being a BSD bigot myself, when I started admin-ing Solaris,
I like the way SVR4 does it much better. Each service is started from
it's own script, and you can start/stop the service by passing the
appropiate argument to the script ('start' or 'stop'). I also like how
you can not only start but stop services when entering a new run state.

Any thoughts on maybe switching to that model? FreeBSD is the last OS
that I use that uses a single /etc/rc and /etc/rc.local style of scripting.
The 'other' way of doing it seems much cleaner. This approach answer's
all of Terry's points, since all the stuff required for any single service
are localized in one file, that we can change without affecting other
stuff.

Mike.