Date:      Sat, 20 Nov 1999 23:45:17 -0600
From:      Chris Dahler <chris.dahler@gte.net>
To:        Marc Dodsworth <marcd@tpg.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Serial Ports Problem

> A lot of of the time with PCCARD modems and winmodems, they are recognised
> by the software as comports rather than being physical com ports (i,e ones
> built on the motherboard or through and external card)
> Have you tried booting with a PCCARD enabled kernel to see what that comes
> back with in relation to your PCCARD modem?

Yes, I have compiled my kernel with pccard support.  Your comment about
software-recognized com ports (rather than physical ports) makes sense given
the problems I am having. When FreeBSD is unable to detect anything other than
sio0 (which is actually the physical port on the back of the computer), pccardd
cannot detect the card modem (which is not a winmodem).  When FreeBSD does
detect sio2, pccardd correctly detects the card, but then it says it cannot allocate
resources for the card - a whole other problem I was going to tackle next.
What can I do to resolve this serial port problem, or is this another instance
of a computer being designed for windows and nothing else?

Chris Dahler