Date:      Sat, 19 Aug 2000 08:36:37 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sun's web site

David Kelly said on Aug 18, 2000 at 20:50:41:
> Narvi writes:
> >
> > It is dual-licenced under SISL and GPL/LGPL. In the case it's a library
> > like thingy, it's LGPL. As Sun is going to have (just like FSF) of all
> > contributions be assigned to themselves, so supposedly all will be
> > available under
>
> In prior version of GPL didn't they say the revisions, even the original,
> was assigned to FSF? Version 2, June 1991, no longer says that
> directly. But as I've said in other posts tonight I believe the GPL
> still forwards full rights of all changes to the original copyright
> holder who is the only one who has the legal rights to impose GPL on
> his code or its derivatives. Or to not impose GPL at some point.

Not true.  Contributions to GPL'd code are copyrighted by the
contributor unless the contributor explicitly donates the copyright
away.  This is one reason why emacs and xemacs will not re-unify
(unlike gcc and egcs) -- the xemacs team has not been asking
contributors to transfer copyrights to the FSF.

Rahul.