Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 1999 11:04:30 +0400 (MSD)
From:      "Cyril A. Vechera" <cyril@main.piter.net>
To:        barrett@phoenix.aye.net, stuart@eclipse.net.uk
Cc:        cshenton@uucom.com, cygone@zoomnet.net, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, shovey@buffnet.net
Subject:   Re: Loadbalance webservers

> > > It would be way cool to modify the server-based daemon to have it
> > > determine the network distance/cost to the *client* then feed that to
> > > the lbnamed so it could return a record corresponding to the server
> > > fastest/closest to the actual client. This would implement WAN load
> > > balancing much like F5 Lab's $27K (each) 3DNS.
> >
> > I think Netscape used to do this in software (at least I always used
> > to get the IP address of their UK mirror returned) but they seem not to
> > be doing that now.
> >
> > Stuart
> >

> Could be an artifact of normal BIND behaviour. When a nameserver
> queries for something in somedomain.com it is given a list of
> randomly ordered NS records to try for a zone. The RTT to each
> of the nameservers is measured and queries are sent to the server
> that replies the quickest. The tracking of RTTs is done continually
> to account for any significant changes in the routes between the
> server that is asking and the server that is answering.

Yes. IMO, the most simple and most usefull way is to split DNS for every
WWW/etc server, for example, if we have three machines in different
networks, they could be configured by this scheme

Network 1, WWW1 has ip-addres x.x.x.x
Network 2, WWW2 has ip-addres y.y.y.y
Network 3, WWW3 has ip-addres z.z.z.z

And there are three DNS-servers,
and DNS1 placed near WWW1, DNS2 - near WWW2 etc.
all DNS-server must disable round-robin feature,
and each one must have first A record for closest
WWW-server, i.e.
DNS1
		www.your-domain.com A x.x.x.x
		www.your-domain.com A y.y.y.y