Date:      01 Apr 2000 13:29:02 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        roberto@idirect.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USER LIMIT in freebsd

roberto@idirect.com writes:

> I have a mail server running freebsd 3.2 I have com e into a snag. The
> server does not seem to want to support more than 32000 users in fact if I
> try to add more it croaks. Is this a kernel limit, adduser limit, pw_mkdb
> limit ?? How can I increase and/or make this an almost impossible to reach
> number?

The actual limit is 2^32, or over 4 billion.

However, for historical reasons, you get a warning from pwd_mkdb(8)
when trying to use values over 2^15.  Although FreeBSD itself can use
32-bit uids just fine, there may be some external programs that can't,
and NFS version 2 is incapable of using uids larger than that number
(it's built right into the protocol).

If you're not using NFS, you should be just fine.

Good luck.