Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 1997 09:52:38 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Patches from -current for -stable I'd like to commit after testing

[
 Mike, can you try and make sure I'm in the Cc list.  I'm getting lost
  in freebsd mail, so keeping me in the Cc list helps me stay on top of
  things I want to be involved with.  Thanks!
]

> > > I think that this isn't realistically achievable; the countercase is
> > > when a card is changed while the system is suspended.  When you come
> > > back up it is not safe to make *any* assumptions about what's in either
> > > slot.
> >
> > True, but if you could do a mini-probe (as the current code attempts to
> > do), then it should work.  However, somehow things aren't yet 'enough'
> > alive when we call the mini-probe, so it doesn't work.
>
> Um, "mini-probe"?  ie. "is what used to be there still there?"

Yep.  epinit(slot, int), where the int says 'is this the first time for
this device'.  If the second parameter is 0, then it does a
'mini-probe'.

> > > Um.  I would be trying to fake a removal on power down, followed by a
> > > faked insertion when we wake back up.
> >
> > This is what the code that's enabled by apm_pccard_resume does (sort
> > of).  Except that it fakes both remove/insertion at resume time.  The
> > bad thing is that it requires that the pccard daemon be running for the
> > 'insertion' to be correctly done.
>
> Natch; it has to rummage the database somehow.  How else would you get
> at this information?

It's already all saved in the kernel now from when the card was
initially inserted.

Nate