Date:      Sat, 11 Sep 1999 17:41:26 +0300
From:      "Igor B. Bykhalo" <goshik@binep.ac.ru>
To:        "David Heller" <dheller1@rochester.rr.com>
Cc:        "-questions@FreeBSD" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How do you setup 2 Ethernet cards??

>Hi All,
Hi!

>I would like to install another ethernet card. I currently use a 3Com
>3C509 ISA card and would like to install another one. From looking at
>the kernel source it looks like I would have to recomplie for another
>card. The question is how do specify in the source the 2 cards so that

My server runs with 3(three) 3C509B BNC/AUI (Etherlink III)
without problems 1.5+ years...
Here's the relevant part from my kernel config file:
device ep0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 12
device ep1 at isa? port 0x320 net irq 11
device ep2 at isa? port 0x340 net irq 10

Of course, You will have to rebuild and install new kernel.

>they are detected properly. (I do have a dos system to reconfigure the

Right, you use DOS 3c5x9cfg.exe to configure cards. What might be not
very obvious, this utility has a knob to set "optimization" type - something
like "client", "modem", etc. - I don't remember precisely. I've always set
it to "server" - and had no problems.

>card as necessary)And once the kernel is setup how do I configure my
>system ?? The first card uses dhcpc the second card will be my LAN.  The
>first card is setup already and works well.

Sorry, can't help you with DHCP - I used it only for clients. But, for the reference,
the relevant part of /etc/rc.conf:
network_interfaces="ep0 ep1 ep2 lo0 sl0"        # List of network interfaces (lo0 is loopb
ifconfig_ep0="inet XXX.YYY.ZZZ.65 netmask 255.255.255.240"
ifconfig_ep1="inet XXX.YYY.ZZZ.81 netmask 255.255.255.248"
ifconfig_ep2="inet XXX.YYY.ZZZ.89 netmask 255.255.255.248"

>Thanks
>
>Dave

You're welcome!
Regards, Goshik