Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 1995 08:22:01 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        Jim Bryant <jbryant@server.iadfw.net>
Cc:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes), freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ANy one useing ft driver under 2.0 current???

> I really think that the QIC support is needed, and as a matter of fact, I
> have thousands of lines of source to add full QIC compat via an user
> program for interchange purposes, I think that symlink support will be

This still goes in a direction I'd rather not see any more effort put.
/dev/ft0 should be a kernel driver, large and dynamically loaded if
necessary (we are moving in that direction, after all), but offering
the same kind of device interface as is offered by the other tape
drivers.  The floppy tape stuff has always been a lone wolf, and a
perennial irritation to those who'd like a consistent doc picture.

We've always known how useful it is to its adherants too, but as Rod's
panic example shows, support for it in -current has also been spotty
at best.  All told, it's one of those parts of our system that I'd
quality as a "trouble spot" - something that needs to be ripped out
screaming by the roots and essentially reimplemented (or at least
rengineered).

It does appear as if this work is now underway (the device driver
conversion) and I support the work in that direction.  I'd hate to see
the current system limp along much longer - it'd be far more merciful
to shoot it.

					Jordan