Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 1996 12:04:42 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, mgessner@aristar.com
Subject:   Re: install on Dell P60

> >   Well, the installation goes fine, but when I try to reboot, my system
> > does a hard reboot after the first couple of /-\|/ go by.
> >
> >   When I try to boot from the floppy to wd(1,a)/kernel, I get further,
> > but eventually the kernel panics.
>
> Surprising that Linux worked on it, but i would try making the memory
> timing more relaxed.

Disable caching.  Then work your way up to disabling "writeback"

The old Dell P60's (are there new Dell P60's?  I don't think so) used
the old Saturn I chipset.

The Old Saturn I chipset does not do a cache invalidate cycle for PCI
bus master DMA devices.

Is it time to once again suggest detecting faulty hardware, and add an
explicit BINVD for the DMA target area in the competion routine?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.