Date:      Sat, 11 Aug 2012 08:35:14 -0500
From:      David Duchscher <daved@tamu.edu>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Disabling ethernet link on an Intel nic?

--Apple-Mail=_D7374F51-629E-4457-AC12-053383B73D6C

Greetings,=20

I have a need to turn off the link of an ethernet port on a Intel nic.  =
The issue is not a big deal but one we would like to solve.  we have no =
way of signaling an upstream router that a path is down but via turning =
off the link of the ethernet port.  This would only be used when =
something goes wrong. The hope is that we could automate some problems =
and handle other situations remotely avoiding having to visit the system =
in person.

Any thoughts?  We can modify the system so if it means modifying the =
driver or some other code, I am willing to try.  Just need a little =
direction.

Thanks for your time,
--
DaveD

--Apple-Mail=_D7374F51-629E-4457-AC12-053383B73D6C--