Date:      Wed, 1 Feb 1995 05:50:20 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@isl.cf.ac.uk>
To:        jkh@FreeBSD.org (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: sup: Ok, I'm gonna do it.

> > I'm not sure this is a good idea. I'm already getting much too much
> > mail from users who clearly are not capable of running development
> > code and I'm really not looking forward to that massively increasing
> > as every new installer takes up your offer to register for sup.
>
> Well, we've been here before (the old ``Do we really want to encourage
> all these newbies??'' argument) and so I'll (hopefully, please please)
> avoid a rehash by simply saying:

> Seriously, this whole attitude of ``We can't let them into our inner
> sanctum!  They'll do bad things!'' just has to stop.  It's
> counter-productive, and the plain fact of the matter is that we ARE
> EXPORTING THESE SOURCES!  FreeBSD-current is available on dozens of
> archive sites, and unless you also propose to yank -current out of the
> mainstream entirely then there's no excuse for not trying to make it
> work as seamlessly as possible.  More importantly, and no matter what
> my and your feelings about it may be, it's what OUR USERS HAVE BEEN
> ASKING FOR!  We cannot pretend to be a real operating system
> environment while continuing to ignore such long-stated needs so
> blatantly.

Hey, I'm all for more people in the inner sanctum, as long as they know
that standing on the edge of the burning coals is risky and we haven't
really got time to console them when they burn their feet. If you
wander into the inner sanctum then you should *expect* to burn your feet
but you're big enough not to winge about a few little blisters.

That's why I think there should be these big signs on the doors which
say "Only enter here if you used to be a stoker on the railways" so people
don't just wander in just to have a look around and end up getting badly
burnt. Rather than a big flashing neon which says, "Enter here if you
want a good time" :-)

--
  Paul Richards, FreeBSD core team member.
  Phone: +44 1222 874000 x6646 (work), +44 1222 457651 (home)