Date:      Fri, 8 Nov 2002 15:47:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        drew@mykitchentable.net (Drew Tomlinson)
Cc:        jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu (Jerry McAllister), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: /etc/make.conf - Multiple Machines

> > > I'm trying to set up a build machine as described in section 21.5 of
> the
> > > Handbook.  The directions say to use a common /etc/make.conf for all
> > > machines that will share binaries.  One of my machines is an i686
> class
> > > CPU.  The other is an i585 CPU.  To what value should I set CPUTYPE.
> > > Default (nothing)? i586 as it's the lowest common denominator?  And
> is
> > > there any value in setting CFLAGS and COPTFLAGS after setting
> CPUTYPE to
> > > whatever I should set it?
> >
> > You can have more than one 'cpu' entry in the conf file.
> > so:
> >
> >   cpu       I486_CPU
> >   cpu       I586_CPU
> >   cpu       I686_CPU
> >
> > Would be legal if you want.   Supposedly it makes the kernel just a
> bit
> > begger, but not a lot.
>
> Thanks.  I know this is true for kernel config files but is it also true
> for /etc/make.conf?

Well, since that is setting a value for CPUTYPE constant, it wouldn't
work to do two in a row, I don't think.  The last would override.
I don't know what would happen if you did something like:

   CPUTYPE=i586,i386

or something like that.   Probably depends on the code that is being built.

But, the documentation within /etc/defaults/make.conf say you are
best to not change the default value if in doubt.

////jerry