Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2000 11:19:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Chiarchiaro <wjc@work.cleartech.com>
To:        msmith@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: weird pnpbios pcmcio interaction

Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:

> I've thought about this for a while, and all I can really offer right now
> is the observation that IBM ThinkPads are Really Weird.  Not very
> helpful, sorry. 8(

  Thanks for taking the time to think about it.  For now, I've managed
to avoid the need for 'options PNPBIOS' by using the pcm config line
pointed out by Richard Scranton <scrantr@ix.netcom.com>:

	device    pcm0 at isa? port 0x52c irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x10

I'm no longer having hangs, regardless of what I do with PC cards.  I
suppose if 'options PNPBIOS" becomes part of the GENERIC kernels, then
I might be in for difficulties during installations or upgrades.

  Right now, I'm working on the pcm driver itself, to make it better
understand the CS4239 chip in the Thinkpad 600E.  I've implemented
changes to save and restore the chip's registers across an APM suspend
and resume, and to properly set the microphone gain.  Several
sound-related aplications (mpg123, sox, "Speak Freely") work to
varying degrees, but each has its quirks.  I'm looking at their code
too to see what they expect of the sound API.

> Try 'sleep 5; zzz' - this may be a known problem with wakeup events
> being delivered late.

  When I was running FreeBSD 4.1 on a Compaq LTE 5380, I'd use 'zzz'
to suspend the machine.  When I tried that with 4.1 on my 600E,
something didn't work.  I think the machine failed to suspend, but
didn't suffer any ill consequences.  That's when I started using
'Fn-F4'.  I haven't tried 'zzz' on the 600E since starting to track
-STABLE on November 13.

Bill Chiarchiaro
wjc@cleartech.com