Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 1995 18:15:37 -0500
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FBSD support inc.

>> >By making the administrative interfaces for all system identical, and
>> >by data-driving those areas where it's not possible to resolve the
>> >interface conflicts.
>> >
>> >CV: my more recent articles on logical device management in a devfs
>> >framework.
>> >
>> >It's an engineering problem, not a management problem.
>>
>> note that this often leads to widespread mediocrity.
>
>Like data driving the WWW interfaces instead of writing site specific
>clients has "resulted in mediocrity"?
>
>With due respect, it is possible to have a client/server mechanism
>with a data driven front end which operates at a high level of data
>abstraction *without* sacrificing Q/A standards.  WWW proves this
>to no end.
>
>Again: this is an engineering problem.

Your example is certainly not the rule here....most "standard" interfaces
are inferior
as a matter of compromise. NDIS, Packet Drivers, ODI (for example) enhance
functionality and simplicity but are mediocre interfaces and inferior to
most custom
ones.

My personal opinion (please don't flame here...) is that most internet
protocols are
pretty awful (SNMP ala ASN1 is an obvious example) and the fact that they have
gained widespread acceptance has much more to do with the failure of other
standards
to be widely implemented (due to commercial infighting) than their superior
design.
As with the American Revolution, a raging mob with rocks and stones will often
defeat a well-equipt (yet underdeployed) army.

dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25