Date:      Tue, 23 Dec 2014 15:24:25 -0800
From:      Tim Gustafson <tjg@tgustafson.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Starting Tomcat with Security Manager

Hi,

I was reading on the Tomcat web site that in order to start Tomcat
with a security manager active, you have to pass the "-security" flag
when starting the server:

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/security-manager-howto.html

I tried adding that to my rc.conf like this:

tomcat8_java_opts="-security"

But that throws the following error on re-start:

Starting tomcat8.
Invalid option -security
Cannot parse command line arguments
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/tomcat8: WARNING: failed to start tomcat8

Googling for "freebsd tomcat security manager" found nothing.

Where is the proper place in FreeBSD to indicate to Tomcat that I want
it to run with the security manager enabled?

--

Tim Gustafson
tjg@tgustafson.com