Date:      Thu, 29 Jun 1995 09:24:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ken Robinson <robinson@nrnsinc.on.ca>
To:        altitude@umich.edu (Alex Tang)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Exabyte 8505

Hello,

> i was wondering what i need to do to get an Exabyte 8505 to work on a
> FreeBSD system (i'm running 2.0R but will be running 2.0.5-SNAP soon).
>
> Currently, when i try to access the tape in any way, it says either device
> busy or :
>
> #mt status
> 7: unknown tape drive type

I haven't tried this on FreeBSD, but to add an 8205 on a SunOS 4.1.x
machine, we needed to add the following to the st_conf.c file.

/* Exabyte 8mm 2.3GB 8205 1/2 height cartridge w/compression */
{
        "Exabyte EXB-8205 8mm Helical Scan", 16, "EXABYTE EXB-8205",
        ST_TYPE_EXB8500, 1024,
        (ST_VARIABLE | ST_BSF | ST_BSR | ST_LONG_ERASE),
        5000, 5000,
        { 0x14, 0x0C, 0x90, 0x0C },
        {  0, 0, 0, 0 }
},

This identifies the drive from it's ID string.  You will of course have
to make the appropriate modifications for the 8505 string.

Also note, to use it without compression, use /dev/rstX where X=0-7, for
compression, X=16-23,  The value is based on the SCSI ID of the drive.
Eg, ID 5 with compression should be 21.

Good Luck.

--
Ken Robinson
DREnet Network Coordination Centre (NCC)