Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2000 22:25:23 -0500
From:      Scott Gregory <bsdbox@citizen.infi.net>
To:        keramida@ceid.upatras.gr
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Detecting loss of Network Connection

Thanks for your reply. I am not trying to fix a current problem....I am
trying to stop a fuure problem. Let me explain....

I am creating a firewall box (2 boxes actually) that will be connected
to 2 different switches on both the Inet side and the internal side (4
NIC's).  The two switches on the Inet side each have a connection to the
Inet, one main connection and one backup.  The switches will be
connected.  This should eliminate any single point of failures from the
inet or a dead switch.  The internal side has the same
configuration....2 switches with the firewall(s) connected to both.

I need to be able to actively monitor the "primary" NIC.  If the link
goes down for any reason (NIC dies, cable fries, switch dies, etc) I
need to reconfigure the "backup" NIC to answer for the required IP. For
this reason, I need something that will monitor the links and is fairly
easy on the resources.

Thanks,

Scott