Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 1998 12:22:33 +0200
From:      Jacques Hugo <jacques@ctech.ac.za>
To:        sbirdy <sbirdy@netvigator.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail problem with DNS & mail server in same machine

sbirdy wrote:

> Dear sir,
>      I intened to build small lan connected to internet with a dns
> server also serve as email.after setup, everything is ok except when
> sendmail.e.g  when I send mail with  "user@domain.name. error display
> somethings like "error 544: mx point back to ns1.test.com. unknown
> host "test.com".but,if I send to addr. user@hostname.domainname.
> everything become fine. this is my /etc/namedb/db.test.com file,
> ( BIND ver 4.9.6 in freebsd 2.2.5)
>
> @   IN SOA ns1.test.com. billy.ns1.test.com. (
>                        980528  ; Serial
>                        10800 ; Refresh after 3 hours
>                        3600 ; Retry after 1 hour
>                        604800 ; Expire after 1 week
>                        86400 ) ; Minimum TTL of 1 day
>
>                       IN NS ns1.test.com.
>                       IN MX 0 ns1.test.com.
>
> localhost    IN A 127.0.0.1
> sbirdy        IN A 202.82.3.197
>
> loghost       IN CNAME ns1
> www         IN CNAME ns1
>
> why can't domainname server unknown host in addr "user@test.com"
> and is "OK" when also use the dns server with hostname
> "user@ns1.test.com" ?Please give me some advise. how to make
> the "usr@domainname" work if I can only have one machines to take
> this two jobs.
> by the way, is not yet connect to internet, is it also a problem?

Ok, this is my stab in the dark.  But this is what I would do:

1.  Keep your SOA as is
2.  Remove the MX entry for ns1.test.com, it is setup as IN NS
3.  Add a MX entry for sbirdy:
	MX 10 sbirdy

You should be fine then.

Comments anyone?

-Jacques

The box said "Requires Windows 3.1 or better"
			... so I got BSD

Network Administrator     | Jacques Hugo
UNIX Systems              | jacques@wired.ctech.ac.za
Cape Technikon            | +27-21-4603584