Date:      Sun, 9 Sep 2012 23:13:35 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
To:        Dave Cheney <dave@cheney.net>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: -current on BeableBone successful

--b5gNqxB1S1yM7hjW

Dave Cheney wrote this message on Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 13:59 +1000:
> That is fantastic. Do you think it would be possible to make an SD
> card image available?

Sure...  I'll take it down after a while (probably weeks) since we want
to encourage people to make sure they are using the latest code and have
infastructure to build it themselves, but to help boot strap a few people,
I've decided to make it a torrent available at:
http://people.freebsd.org/~jmg/FreeBSD-BEAGLEBONE.img.bz2.torrent
or:
magnet:?xt=3Durn:btih:37e1bb8e88cb95dce662917b0d7150d58244b854&dn=3DFreeBSD=
-BEAGLEBONE.img.bz2

SHA256 (FreeBSD-BEAGLEBONE.img.bz2) =3D f275f058d777397f5ed93ae2c86856ed97e=
3fcbac1778c47b91e4111bc777185

It's ~186MB, but sized for a 1GB SD card.

After you fetch it, please keep seeding for others.

Thanks.

P.S. I've signed the message with a new key.  The one I have in the
handbook is very old and current gpg doesn't support signing with it.  I'll
get the handbook updated tomorrow.

> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 1:16 PM, Tim Kientzle <kientzle@freebsd.org> wrot=
e:

> > On Sep 9, 2012, at 6:48 PM, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> >
> >> Well, I have successfully booted FreeBSD-current on the BeagleBone:
> >> FreeBSD beaglebone 10.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT #0 r240251: Wed N=
ov  2 14:26:08 PDT 2011     jmg@pcbsd-779:/usr/obj/arm.armv6/usr/src.HEAD/s=
ys/BEAGLEBONE  arm

> >> Though there are a few issues...  I'm using Kientzle's script to build
> >> the bootable image, so one is related to his script, and the others are
> >> more generic issues..
> >>
> >> The first off is that for some reason, the uenv.txt file doesn't load..
> >> I'm not sure what is wrong, but if I type in:
> >> fatload mmc 0:1 0x88000000 ubldr;bootelf 0x88000000
> >
> > I just ran into this myself.  I think the Arago sources
> > broke environment loading.
> >
> > I started to debug the Arago U-Boot build this weekend
> > but decided it would likely be more productive to switch
> > to using the Denx sources.  Denx publishes periodic
> > snapshots which should make things a little more stable.
> >
> >> manually, it boots fine...
> >>
> >> The second is that it looks like we have some left over debugging in
> >> SIOC[SG]IFMEDIA that we need to remove, and a fall through comment that
> >> doesn't look like it is applicable any more... Should I just remove
> >> these?
> >
> > The cpsw driver still needs work.   I've fixed a couple of problems, bu=
t there are some deeper issues:
> >   * Under memory pressure, the rx handler populates the receive buffer =
list with NULLs then panics when it tries to process them.
> >   * I've seen the driver stall repeatedly; I'm not sure why yet but I s=
uspect the driver is mis-handling queue restarts.
> >   * The driver doesn't detach properly (which results in panics if you =
build the driver as a module and try to unload it)

> >> Third is that I get this error:
> >> ip length 328 disagrees with bytes received 330.
> >> accepting packet with data after udp payload.
> >>
> >> This appeard to be from sbin/dhclient/packet.c...  Not sure exactly why
> >> we are returning a large packet to userland?
> >
> > I haven't seen this one.
> >
> >> Thanks for the work.  In a couple days, I'll figure out how well the
> >> VLANs work on this system.
> >>
> >> Thanks to Tim for his script that made building the image really easy,
> >> and to the others for getting this working!
> >
> > Here are my priorities for the BeagleBone, in roughly this order:
> >   * Fix the cpsw Ethernet driver
> >   * Get buildworld/buildkernel working correctly natively.  (30+ hour b=
uilds make this tedious to test; last time I tested the builds completed bu=
t installing world crashed things badly)
> >   * Work on performance for the MMC driver
> >   * USB host driver
> >
> > Apart from Ethernet-related panics, the system has
> > been remarkably stable.  I've been building ports and
> > otherwise hammering the system for days on end without
> > any apparent ill effects.

--=20
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579

--b5gNqxB1S1yM7hjW

--b5gNqxB1S1yM7hjW--