Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 2020 12:36:19 -0400
From:      Ryan Steinmetz <zi@freebsd.org>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        Jaap Akkerhuis <jaap@nlnetlabs.nl>, Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>, net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: unbound and (isc) dhcpd startup order

On (06/16/20 08:14), Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
>Ok, well, I just thought of one and not sure if it is an issue or not,
>doesng unbound have the ability to specify interfaces?  If so those
>may not exist until NETWORKING has run?

Unbound isn't really going to do anything useful without the network.  I
don't think it is unreasonable that it should depend on NETWORKING.

I think we're in an edge case here and, perhaps, a better solution might
be to have someone(tm) add in support in rc.conf to specify dependency
overrides.

So, perhaps you could set:

dhcpd_after="unbound"

Which would factor into the rcorder processing and make sure that dhcpd
starts after unbound.

This would allow people to fine-tune things when they run into cases
like this.

-r

The idea that a daemon that depends on the network being functional

--
Ryan Steinmetz
PGP: 9079 51A3 34EF 0CD4 F228  EDC6 1EF8 BA6B D028 46D7