Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2001 13:28:34 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
To:        raviprasad20@netscape.net
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Route command

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 06:13:23AM -0400, raviprasad20@netscape.net wrote:
> Hi,
> Iam not clear about your point.
> All my queries are withrespect to the file /usr/src/sbin/route/route.c.
>
> The "route" command main() open a routing socket. All the user
> requests are stored in  are stored in the structure rt_msghdr. Then
> the function rtmsg()writes to the routing socket. Later the same
> function  reads from the same socket to display messages to the user about the result of the command.
>
> My doubt is who is reading this information that he writes to the
> routing socket & updating the kernel routing table. Whether the
> routed daemon?

This is from the route(4) manpage:

: Any messages sent to the kernel are returned, and copies are sent to all
: interested listeners.  The kernel will provide the process ID for the
: sender, and the sender may use an additional sequence field to distin-
: guish between outstanding messages.

And yes, routing daemon (if running) will receive these messages.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Oracle Developer/DBA,
ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,