Date:      Sun, 1 Nov 1998 17:20:09 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Subject:   Re: Installing

On Sun, 1 Nov 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > The problem is that the SRM firmware (which is what we currently use) can
> > only boot from scsi hardware for which it has a built-in driver.  As far
> > as I know, that list is limited to isp, ncr and possibly ahc hardware.
>
> Not ahc last I checked on my Durango box, but perhaps there has been
> an update?  I guess I should check - I just assumed that SRM being a
> cost item (I paid $170 for my copy) meant that you could pretty much
> forget about any free upgrades.

You can download updates from ftp.digital.com.  It takes some figuring out
to decide which bits to download and how to install them but there is a
lot of stuff there.

I don't really know about ahc support in SRM.  I just remember Andrew
Gallatin mentioning that he was going to swap an isp for an ahc in one
system when we were going through a rough patch and the isp driver was
suspected (it wasn't the culprit in the end, it was breakage caused by
fsck).

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
					Fax:   +44 181 381 1039