Date:      Sat, 11 Sep 1999 15:32:11 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        lnb@cybertouch.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: calculating available disk space

On Sat, Sep 11, 1999 at 09:40:02AM -0400, lnb@cybertouch.org wrote:
> Hello fellow FreeBSD users
> Would someone please tell me what the math is to calculate the amount of
> available disk space out from the example below? As im how many megs free.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help
>
> Filesystem      1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> heretic:/shared   2480982   323515  1958989    14%    /shared

1958989/1024 = 1913.0752MB

You will notice, if you do the maths, that Used + Avail != 1K-blocks.
In fact it is about 92% of the total as the system reserves 8% for
its own use, only root can write to it which is why you may see
Capacity at 109% on a full file system.

HTH

> Regards,
>
> Lanny Baron
> ----------------------------------
> lnb@cybertouch.org
> 11-Sep-99, 09:40:02
> A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining
> and wants it back the minute it begins to rain.
> 		-- Mark Twain
>

> FreeBSD+Samba=A total solution for file servers and a ton more...
> Freedom Network Solutions
> http://freedomnetworks.com

STATE-OF-THE-ART: Any computer you can't afford.
OBSOLETE: Any computer you own.