Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 19:27:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bryce Newall <data@dreamhaven.net>
To:        Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Install can't find SCSI disks on Dell PowerEdge2300

On 16 Oct 1998, Chris Shenton wrote:

> Trying to install FreeBSD on a new Dell PowerEdge2300. It's a P2 with
> two on-board Adaptec SCSI controllers, a 7860 with the CDROM and a
> 7890 with two Seagate 34573LC disks. I've tried 2.2.6-RELEASE and
> 2.2.7-RELEASE and they both see the CDROM and boot from it, but when
> trying to select disks, the install procedure reports there's no disk.

Are you installing from CD-ROM, or booting with a floppy and installing
over the net?  If the latter, you could go into your BIOS and temporarily
disable the 7860 controller, and then FreeBSD should recognize the 7890.
I suspect that what's happening is that FreeBSD is scanning for an
adapter, finding it (the 7860), and is not scanning for any additional
adapters.  Hence, it's not finding your hard drives that are hooked up to
the second adapter (the 7890).

Would I be correct in assuming that your PE2300 doesn't have the RAID
backplane?  We have a 2300 at work, but it has the Dell PowerEdge
Expandable Raid Controller (PERC) in it, so it really has 3 adapters (and
the hard drives are hooked up to the PERC), but only 2 are Adaptec.  The
CD-ROM is hooked up to the 7860, and nothing is on the 7890.

Once you've got FreeBSD installed, then when you build your custom kernel
and enable support for your Adaptec controllers (normally adding the line
"controller      ahc0" to your kernel configuration file), make sure you
add 2 lines in, that is:

  controller      ahc0
  controller      ahc1

That will tell the kernel to look for 2 adapters, rather than just one.

Hope that helps out some!