Date:      Sat, 20 Nov 1999 22:56:27 -0800
From:      "Erik Stainsby" <stainsby@telus.net>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   unable to boot kernel.old

Attempting to build my first kernel on 3.3-RELEASE
I got it wrong ... No problem, I'll just reboot and
load the old kernel right?  Hmmm....

Well, I can't find a place to enter the name of the old kernel

I get the announcement that the kernel will be loaded
in 9 seconds, and that I should hit Enter or any other key...

At the prompt disks1a1:>
all my attempts to invoke another kernel image fail.
I have tried :        (paraphrased)

disks1a1:> boot kernel.old
can't boot "boot"
disks1a1:> kernel.old
not found
disks1a1:> /kernel.old
cannot load  --  kerenl module already loaded

--------
Arrgh.  So I have loaded the live-fs CD and overwritten the
currently active kernel with the previous issue. The system
is back in service.

But...!  Could someone explain to me how I could have used
the commandline at boot time to load a previous image?  It
would be -so- much nicer to manage this situation.

(Now to tweak that kernel config ...)

    Erik Stainsby
    stainsby@telus.net