Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 1997 03:24:05 -0500
From:      Tom Jackson <toj@gorilla.net>
To:        Yang Wu <yawu@ic.sunysb.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: question !

On Sun, Jun 08, 1997 at 02:44:56PM -0400, Yang Wu wrote:
> W.C.CDROM,
>
> 	I installed FreeBSD 3 times.
>  I reserved 500Mbytes for it(D drive), and the first time when I
>  install it (by INSTALL ) the message says the disk is full. The

first of all, you don't install freebsd to the d: drive. You install it
to a free partition, preferably on your first hard drive. 500 mb is fine
for basic install with source omitted.

> second time even made the PC dead and the hard drive remained spinning. The
> only thing I can do is turn off the power. The third time, unfortunately
> , I can't retrive those compressed files after I installed the kernel.

slow down, if you have a dos boot floppy, boot it and enter fdisk /mbr. This
will return you to a clean dos boot sector at the start of your disk. Get
dos/w95 working first, make sure to keep 500 mb free from w95. Then make a
freebsd boot.flp from your freebsd cdrom. Make sure it boots up and watch
carefully the hardware probes for any problems.

> 	It seems that FreeBSD doesn't work stably on my PC. After all
> of this, I format my hard drive again, while FreeBSD had changed my boot
> sectors' information or some other system's records. I can't run win95

freebsd didn't do this. You have become befuddled and shot yourself in the
foot ;). You might describe your hardware for potential problems. You
really need to read the documentation provided on the cdrom.

> normally now! The PC is crashed, and the fixit.flp doesn't help much.
> Do you have any idea about how I can restore my system (low-level format
> or any other way to do it)?
>
> 	Can I return the CDROM to you and ask refund of it ?

Most definitely you can, but are you giving up that easy?

> 						Yang Wu
good luck, email to freebsd-questions@freebsd.org any problems, there are
plenty of people at this mailing list willing to help you. Try to make your
subject line a little discriptive

--
Tom Jackson                                           I'm ProChoice->FreeBSD
toj@gorilla.net                                       http://www.freebsd.org