Date:      Fri, 16 May 2003 14:44:19 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew <andrew@ugh.net.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   mtree and wildcards

Hi,

I am trying to use mtree to create subdirectories of a series of pre
existing directories. The problem is I don't know how many directories
there will be. I wanted to make an mtree specfication like:

*
    my
    ..
    sub
    ..
    directories
    ..
..

and have * match all the existing directories - alas it creates a
directory called * and puts the subdirectories under that. mtree(8) talks
about using []?* but clearly meant in some other way.

I can work around it by writing a script to call mtree multiple
times but it seems that mtree should support this behaviour (and it would
be a neater solution).

Thanks,

Andrew