Date:      Fri, 20 Apr 2001 01:08:58 -0700
From:      "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
To:        vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET
Cc:        seanp@loudcloud.com, jgowdy@home.com, lplist@closedsrc.org, kris@obsecurity.org, mwlist@lanfear.com, freebsd@sysmach.com?, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: the AMD factor in FreeBSD

> > Bob's Athlon 1000 may well have been on the exact same silicon wafer as
> > Joe's Athlon 1300 and Sam's Athlon 800. They test each chip and then
>mark
> > them accordingly.
>
>	Not really...

I have seen this many times before, not only with my very own CPU but in
other circumstances ad well. Remember all the press a few years back about
how a certain marking of P2-300s would overclock to 450MHz and even
500--when 450MHz was the fastest P2 at the time? That was a remarking.
Actually why delve into the past? Take almost any newly manufactured low-end
or mid-range chip today, even intel chips. Yields have been very good,
especially for AMD. Quite a few of these chips are remarked well below what
their test value was. I have heard (but haven't verified at all or seen for
myself) that some of the latest Athlons of series AXIA and AZIA are labelled
at around 1500MHz.

> > 1200's, AMD will sell 1200's as 900s. They are all the same chips made
>at
> > the same time from the same plant (other than Durons) and all cost the
>same
> > to manufacture.
>
>	Maybe the ones that don't past certain tests are relabeled as the
>lower end ones...

Do you think that AMD and Intel have a different set of manufacturing
equipment for each and every CPU revision? How inneficient would that be,
balancing the production capacity of each one with the market demand. This
is actually fairly public knowledge. Please feel free to contact either
manufacturer on the issue... Don't trust me, trust the source.