Date:      Sat, 24 Jul 2004 10:49:19 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
To:        Hugo Silva <klr@6s-gaming.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: best virtual server solution?

> I've been struggling to find the best virtual server solution based on a
> FreeBSD 5.2.1 system. I was hoping some members of the list could help me
> take this decision. I have questions/thoughts regarding vmware/bsd jails:
>
> - Vmware
>      - Does it run 5.2.1 nicely ?

i think yes. it emulates real PC so it should

>      - Does a Guest OS (FreeBSD) support multiple IPs?

it's guest os feature not vmware's. yes.

>      - Does vmware support Xeon CPUs? (not listen in their site)
>      - Is a xual xeon 2.8ghz + 4GB ram enough to run, say, 40 virtual
>          machines using vmware?

depends what this machines will do.

>      - Vmware *really* needs a X session to be working?

AFAIK yes. not sure vnc may be a fix

vmware is bad idea. it's slow and memory consuming (much more that virtual
machine memory).

jails are right solution.

or even better - think well if you REALLY need separated servers.

in 99% of cases the answer is no.

> - Jails
>      - Is there any patch working for multiple jail IPs under 5.2.1-p9 ?

AFAIK no. but it will change