Date:      Mon, 7 Apr 1997 13:20:05 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        thompson@squirrel.tgsoft.com, proff@suburbia.net, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail in 2.2

> And there is also a port of exim, which does things better than
> sendmail that I run locally.  Works great.  The only problem that I
> have is to remember to disbale sendmail after a make world.  That's
> the biggest impediment right now to these things: they all seem to
> want to install a /sur/sbin/sendmail emulator so that all the programs
> on the system will go through their queueing mechanism rather than
> sendmails (and so you can do a chmod 0 sendmail to make it safe too
> :-).

Yeah, this sucks.

The problem is that there is not a data specification for the default
MTA which is then used by MTA-using programs to get the right MTA,
so every weenie in the world wants to tromp /usr/sbin/sendmail.

One fix might be to give sendmail its own "weenie" script and put it
some place else (and not install the weenie scripts on "make world",
which would leave your MTA's weenie script in place of sendmails...).

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---