Date:      Sat, 3 May 2003 19:05:42 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirkx@webweaving.org>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CompactFlash / new GEOM / boot fails on certain brand / Soekris

Luigi,

Wonderful; yes - the fix does indeed work around the issue - Mille Thanks
for all the help.

For completeness:

At: http://webfolder.wleiden.webweaving.org/apacher-boot/

		patch.txt		patch for boot1.s on x86

Which is also used by boot2 (see xread refernence in boot2.s).

However it also needs a fix in the BTX boot loader which gets called
later by boot2:

		patch2.txt		for i386/libi386/biosdisk.c

What I did for now was set the 'maxfer=1' in the bd_read/bd_write after
one error. I suppose that this does slow things down.

Compiled versions to experiment:

		boot1.bin
		boot2.bin
		loader.bin

But if I understand you right - this really is an issue in the bios of
Soekris - and I should ping Soeren to help fix this ? I.e the BIOS should
grafecully scale back to one sector at a time ?

Or is the bios already out of the picture when we get to the loader/BTX
stage - and should FreeBSD scale back to one sector/at/the/time after the
first error ?

Thanks a bundle !

Dw