Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 23:46:27 -0600 (CST)
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Postfix vs. Sendmail

Today I started tracking FreeBSD-STABLE (from 4.0-RELEASE). After it was
all said an done, my sendmail 8.10.1 installation was trashed,
despite having the NO_SENDMAIL flag set to "true" in /etc/make.conf.

After telnetting to freebsd.org 25 and seeing that freebsd.org ran
Postfix (as well as my service provider, and several other sites I
respect), I installed Postfix from the ports collection. An hour later,
I now have a sendmail-free system. And I didn't even have to 'compile' a
.cf file.

My question is: how can I prevent "make world" from trashing my Postfix
installation in the future? I needed to make some symlinks from
/usr/sbin/sendmail --> /usr/local/sbin/sendmail, etc.

Why doesn't the standard FreeBSD distribution come with Postfix
(very easy to configure, doesn't run as root) instead of Sendmail?

----
Christopher Farley
Northern Brewer / 1150 Grand Avenue / St. Paul, MN 55105
www.northernbrewer.com