Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 2002 12:07:28 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        sroberts@dsl.pipex.com
Cc:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>, Mike Harding <mvh@ix.netcom.com>, dnelson@allantgroup.com, FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xscreensaver-gnome-4.05 install fails

> [...]
>
> Thanks.
>
> Stacey
>

> On Fri, 2002-06-14 at 19:27, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > > From: Stacey Roberts <sroberts@dsl.pipex.com>
> > > Date: 14 Jun 2002 19:04:41 +0100
> > > Sender: owner-freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.ORG
> > >=20
> > > Okay, so I decided to go with upgrading gtk-1.2.10_5 instead of editing
> > > the gtk file. But I then get the following error even before anything
> > > starts:
> > > # portupgrade -R gtk-1.2.10_5
> > > Stale dependency: gtk-1.2.10_5 --> XFree86-libraries-4.2.0_1 -- manuall=
> > > run 'pkgdb -F' to fix (-O disallowed when -R is given).
> > > #
> > >=20
> > > Now, I ran into problems with this pkgdb -F command before, that
> > > resulted in lots of gnome stuff breaking. In particular, where it
> > > relates to the stale dependancy -> XFree86-4 stuff..,
> > >=20
> > > Is this / has the above error been looked at?
> >=20
> > Stale dependencies happen. It is the nature of portupgrade and not the
> > individual ports. Fixing them is pretty safe (and pretty essential) if
> > you understand what you are doing.
> >=20
> > What version of XFree86 libraries is installed on your system? I think
> > 4.2.0_1 is the current one, but you probably either have a very old
> > version that pre-dates the conversion of XFree86 to it's current form
> > and all you have installed is XFree86-4.x. If it's more recent, you
> > probably have XFree86-libraries-4.x.
> >=20
> > When you run pkgdb -F, it will report the invalid dependency and
> > probably show you your installed version of XFree86 libraries. If so,
> > just enter 'a' and continue.
> >=20
> > R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
> > Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
> > Ernest O. Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab)
> > E-mail: oberman@es.net			Phone: +1 510 486-8634
> --=20
> Stacey Roberts B.Sc. (HONS) Computer Science
> Network Systems Engineer
>
> --=-nPHrb86NjHEx+K8sBld+

> Hi Kevin,
>    I'm actually running XFree86-3.3.6, from initial system installation
> time back at FreeBSD 4.3 - I'm currently running 4.6RC, here's the uname
> info:
> # uname -a
> FreeBSD <snip> 4.6-RC FreeBSD 4.6-RC #0: Sun May 26 11:20:25 BST
> 2002     <snip>:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/<snip>  i386
> #=20
>
> Does it not matter that I'm running this version of XFree86, and pkgdb
> - -F mentioned stale dependancies with the pointer to XFree-4X?
>
> I've always been happy with the version I've got installed, and besides,
> I wasn't clear on whether or not my graphics card at the time was
> supported in the new version. I've got the ATI Xpert 8MB.
>
> Can I still run pkgdb -F and select the "a" option when asked to

Ahh. That explains it. portupgrade THINKS that you need
XFree86-4-libraries, but you just have XFree86. This is a known
behavior of portupgrade. As it is documented, I guess it's a feature.

Did you modify /etc/make.conf to include "XFREE86_VERSION=3"? If not,
please do and 4.6 makes the assumption of XFree86-4 the default.

If you still need to fix it, simply use 'pkg_version -v | grep
XFree86' to get the exact version of XFree86-3.3.6 you are running and
enter that as the new dependency (if pkgdb does not suggest it on its
own). The next port that uses XFree86 (if there is one) will then
suggest the same thing and you and enter 'a' at that point to replace
all dependencies on XFree86-libraries with XFree86.