Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 1997 09:01:39 +0100
From:      Terje Normann Marthinussen <Terje.N.Marthinussen@cc.uit.no>
To:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Current SMP status inquiry

>Hi,
>
>> What about the evil FP exception/FPU support problem? The one that
>> locks everything up solid? I'd be happy to write up a description and
>> workaround, but it may be that others don't believe it exists, or that
>> it is simply a problem with my and a few others equipment.
>
>it definately seems to affect some hardware more  than others.  I recently
>ran 3 copies of ico on X11 for 3-4 houres without a burp.  There has to
>be a fair amout of FPU use going on during that.
>
>This does need to be pursued, but I have no time (or even an SMP machine)
>to give to it right now, a "real job" has arrived...

I got our 4CPU pentium HP Netserver up on current early last week, and
during the weekend we had it chewing through 1GB+ of gzip'ed log data.
Two processes fed with each half of the data, they grew to around
50MB each (early memory inefficient version of the program and we "only"
have 128MB on it so 2 was enough).

While not FPU intensive, it most certainly must have used quite a bit of
FPU during the ~15 hours the processes ran (well, actually two runs
of ~15 hours, a bug was discovered ;)). Didn't notice any problems at all.

Terje Marthinussen
terjem@cc.uit.no