Date:      Wed, 20 Jul 2016 19:54:27 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>, gjb@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD user home directory

Looking at my armv6 and amd64 11.0's (long in use, originally -CURRENT, =
now -STABLE, maintained via source updates):

amd64 and armv6 (rpi2) both have real /usr/home directories.

armv6 (and rpi2) has no /home path established at all, not even as a =
symbolic link to elsewhere.

amd64 has /home -> usr/home via a symbolic link.

(I do not have access to check my memory and will not for weeks but if I =
remember right my powerpc64 and powerpc 11.0's were like amd64 above. =
They dated back to somewhat before 2016-June-04 when last updated.)

If I remember right my old powerpc and powerpc 10.x-STABLE's and =
10.x-RELEASES also agreed with amd64 above. (At the time I only was =
experimenting with powerpc64 and powerpc FreeBSD.)

In comparison today's -r303119 says:

> Log:
>   Create a /usr/home -> /home symlink for the arm images to
>   avoid /usr/home confusingly being created as a directory.

May be which path is to directly be the actual directory by default has =
changed --since all of my contexts started long ago.

But what all my confirmable examples suggest is that /usr/home is =
normally the directory.

I did not manually control or create /usr/home for any of the contexts =
as far as I can remember. It was automatic as a side effect of some =
activity.

If there is variability up to now or across architectures it might be =
appropriate to have an UPDATING entry to indicate the new uniform answer =
or whatever describes how things now are.

Are there alternative standard FreeBSD installation techniques that may =
be should all be made to match for such properties? (POLA for such =
defaults: lack of variability across [the major or official] =
techniques?)

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net