Date:      Thu, 20 Mar 1997 02:18:35 GMT
From:      Adam David <adam@veda.is>
To:        krw@tcn.NET (Kenneth R. Westerback)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2R suggestion - replace banner's #0 with CTM level id

>FreeBSD 2.2-RELEASE (KERNELNAME) #0: ...timestamp...

>Now in my (admittedly limited) experience the #0 seems to always stay the
>same.

It is incremented when you rebuild without nuking the compile directory.

>Why not use that slot to display the source/CTM level in place when
>the kernel is compiled?  Would this not provide some potentially useful
>information when people are asking questions?

Tricky to specify accurately in a meaningful way. CTM is a distribution
method with a serial number, CVS does things differently (checkout date,
and branched serial numbers for each file).

>Admittedly not fool proof
>since they could manually change source files and not change the info in
>/usr/src/.ctm_status, but something.

Perhaps it would make sense to show the source baseline date and the build
date, but there would still be no direct indication of divergence from the
baseline.

--
Adam David <adam@veda.is>