Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 95 11:43:12 "CST
From:      Thomas Blackman <blackm@ssax.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   SCSI install problem.

Hi.  I have a problem installing FreeBSD on 2 quantum 730 HD's using
NCR53c810 PCI SCSI controller.  After I set everything up in Fdisk and
disklabel,  I go to reboot the machine to start of the HD and it get 1 of
2 errors.  1. read error- This happends when I dont install the boot
manager.  2.  The boot manager shows up and disk1 is labele with FreeBSd,
and disk2 is labeled disk2.  When I select F1 to start freebsd, it just
prints the boot menu again.

Now I read that there are a few problems with SCSI controllers
interpreting the disks incorrectly, and I have tried several different
geometries hoping to fix it.  I tried the TROUBLESHOOTING's idea of using
32 heads and 64 sectors, but that didnt work.  Neither did taking the
geometry off a dos partition, of the disks themselves, and off what the
kernel reports when it first boots up.

My question is what is causing this problem.  Is it nnot the geometry?
How about the SCSI controller.  Since the machine is a P-90 is want to
stick with PCI.  Do I need a different one?  Disks problems?

Im totally stumped.  I have done a few installs on other SCSI machines,
and have never had this problem.   Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks...

TB
 --
~ Thomas B. Blackman               | 500 W. Madison | email: blackm@ssax.com ~
~ Associate Software Engineer      | Chicago, IL    | Phone: 312-474-7581    ~