Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 1996 03:05:03 -0800
From:      "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        james@miller.cs.uwm.edu, multimedia@freebsd.org, multimedia@rah.star-gate.com, tlehman@becky.acet.org, toml@mitre.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and VAT

>>> Luigi Rizzo said:

 > can do (assuming it has a correct clock with sufficient resolution)
 > is to eat samples at 8 KHz. BUT: if the sender is claiming 8KHz
 > but in fact uses a different sample rate (because of inaccuraces),
 > this does not fix anything.

Well, it looks like the easiest thing is to dump vat and just rely
on whatever frequency the card runs at.

There is no easy way to adjust for frequency oscillations on the
receiver side. You would have to have a reference point interlace with the
data in order for the receiver to adjust accordingly. Due to the
undeterministic behavior of the net it is not sufficient nor desired
to depend on the frequency of the incoming packets so in my opinion
the reference point would have to be part of the data stream.

All fun and  games however I think that it would be easier to come up
with a different audio tool than to fix vat.

The other problem that vat suffers from is that it uses for gsm
8 bit ulaw which is totally bogus. From the gsm's README:

GSM 06.10 compresses frames of 160 13-bit samples (8 kHz sampling
rate, i.e. a frame rate of 50 Hz) into 260 bits; for compatibility
with typical UNIX applications, our implementation turns frames of 160
16-bit linear samples into 33-byte frames (1650 Bytes/s).

So for our environment it is not desirable to use ulaw because this
encurs further unnecessary processing on the system and we may lose
precision when expanding 8bit ulaw to 16 bit to be able to feed it
to gsm encoding algorithm and I really hate to see what happens
on the receiver side.

	Amancio