Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 2002 20:05:28 -0400
From:      Craig Rodrigues <crodrigu@bbn.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Retrieving SONET alarms with FreeBSD?

Hi,

I am trying to learn about network management systems (NMS) and SONET.
I was wondering, are any device drivers available
for FreeBSD which can propagate SONET alarms from the
network element device level to a user-level ioctl() or system call?

Under Linux, some of the linux-atm drivers implement a
proprietary ioctl() calls SONET_GETDIAG which can be used
to get some SONET alarm information.  Is there anything
equivalent (or better :) available from FreeBSD?  I couldn't find
anything by grepping the FreeBSD 4.6 source code.

Since I am learning about this stuff on my machine at home, which does
not connect to any real SONET equipment, I would be interested in
writing a device driver which could at least simulate the SONET
alarm information, so that I can experiment with writing
a home grown NMS. :)

Thanks.
--
Craig Rodrigues        Distributed Systems and Logistics, Office 6/304
crodrigu@bbn.com       BBN Technologies, a Verizon company