Date:      Sun, 16 Mar 2003 19:35:43 -0500
From:      Jason Sopko <jason@sopko.net>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: openssh 3.5 connection timeout

sysadmin@wvths.com wrote:

>Hello list,
>
> I am having a problem with establishing the connection to the ssh server
>runnning on 4.7 as well as 5.0.
>
> The tcpdump capture shows that the OpenSSH server tries to resolve the
>the IP address of the client by doing the series of 4-8 PTR queries to
>the UDP port 53 of 127.0.0.1. The timeout takes about 38-40 seconds.
>After that I get the password prompt as usual.
>
>Has anyone anyone seen this behavior before or know of the solution? Any
>input will be apreciated.
>
>Thanks.

You probably have 127.0.0.1 in /etc/resolv.conf, and your ssh server is
trying to lookup the PTR record for the client host as it connects. If
it's timing out, that would tell me that you most likely don't have DNS
running locally and have no other entries in /etc/resolv.conf for the
server to look to. Change /etc/resolv.conf to have the IP address of a
valid DNS host, and either remove 127.0.0.1 or install and configure
BIND properly and you should be fine

///Jason