Date:      Mon, 2 Jun 1997 20:45:24 -0400
From:      Dan Welch <WELCHDW@wofford.edu>
To:        Malvin.Chang@auth2.webquest.com
Cc:        QUESTIONS@FREEBSD.ORG, WELCHDW@wofford.edu
Subject:   RE: mail coming in, not going out

Date: Sun, 1 Jun 1997 13:53:31 GMT+8
From: "Malvin Chang" <Malvin.Chang@auth2.webquest.com>
To: WELCHDW@wofford.edu
Subject: mail coming in, not going out

>Hi Dan, sorry for butting in like this.  I've been searching the
>FreeBSD list and found that you have a problem which is similar to
>what I'm experiencing right now.  I would like to ask if you can help
>me out assuming that you have already solve your problem.
>
>Thanks

I found the solution in the 2nd edition of the Sendmail book: create
the file /etc/service.switch and place in it the single line

hosts   /etc/hosts

The book gives details.  Good luck.

For those who forgot what the problem was, here's the original:
>Hi Dan, sorry for butting in like this.  I've been searching the
>FreeBSD list and found that you have a problem which is similar to
>what I'm experiencing right now.  I would like to ask if you can help
>me out assuming that you have already solve your problem.
>
>Thanks

I found the solution in the new edition of the Sendmail book: create
the file /etc/service.switch and place in it the single line

hosts   /etc/hosts

This solved my sendmail problem with both 2.1.5 and 2.1.6 neatly.
The book explains why this works.  Good Luck.  ...DanW
For those who wonder what the problem was, here's the original.
(It's a non-issue for people running DNS, I think.)