Date:      Thu, 02 Nov 2000 16:28:51 -0600
From:      James Stephenson <jstephen@olivet.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with Network Card During Install...

I recently added another computer to my room.  It is a 486 that I put in here so
I could run another operating system, and I chose FreeBSD.  I have used FreeBSD
for over a year now, on a different machine, but recently decided to have a
dedicated machine for this operating system.

I created both boot disks, and was planning to FTP install here from my network
at school as I do not have a working CD-ROM to use with the system nor do I have
current FBSD media.  I have a working network card, but I cannot get the kernel
to recognize it.  The card is an ISA Gateway Communications, Inc.  G/Ethertwist
PC with AUI, UTP, and BNC (jumpers set to UTP operation).  It also has 8
dipswitches, which, I believe, set the address of the card.  I know this is an
old card, and is not the easiest type to set up for use with any machine, but I
got 4 of them for free and have no other working network cards to use right
now.  So, because it works (the lights light up and my hub lights up, too) I am
trying to see if I can use these things.

I have tried nearly every combination I can think of in the initial kernel
config for install.  I believe this may be NE2000 compatible, but I am not
certain on that.  I don't know what the IRQ and the address of the card are, and
I have no idea what the jumpers and dipswitches (current dipswitch settings are:
1, 3, & 4 on; 2 & 5-8 off) set it to.  If anyone knows anything about these
cards, esp. the address and IRQ settings and what driver to use in the kernel
config, I would be very grateful.

Thank you for any information anyone can provide.
James