Date:      Sat, 03 Mar 2012 13:36:48 +0200
From:      Volodymyr Kostyrko <c.kworr@gmail.com>
To:        krad <kraduk@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: zfs fails to mount correctly during 8.2 -> 9.0 update

krad wrote:
> I have generally found this stepped method of booting into the new kernel
> with the old userland as a bad thing with zfs. Especially if there is a zfs
> version bump in the new build. This is due the the user land zfs tools
> being out of sync with the kernel. What I have found works much better is
> to clone your zfs root file system, mount it somewhere, set DESTDIR to
> there and install world and kernel. Then tweak the loader.conf on the
> relevent fs and the pools bootfs property accordingly.  Unmount the new
> root fs and set the mountpoint the legacy, then reboot. If you get problems
> with the new build just boot in with a live ios and reset the bootfs
> property of the pool to the old value. I wish the last step could be done
> from the loader prompt but as far as i can see you cant yet 8(

I know, this is rather "works for me" way of updating. However zfs
userland is mostly not used for booting from or mounting zfs so its
generally safe if the minimal set of commands for activating zfs works.
This minimal set consists of:

  zfs mount -a
  zfs share -a

And as far as I recall kernel interface for those was never touched so
the previous tools work with new kernel module.

One can even run new version of tools without installing them to system
by creating some catalog in tmp and copying libraries and tools from
/usr/obj to this catalog.

Actually as far as I recall only thing bootfs flag does is refusing some
advanced features like adding separate log/cache device. The system
boots fine regardless bootfs setting. So mounting another file system as
a root can be accomplished by setting or changing vfs.root.mountfrom at
loader prompt.

--
Sphinx of black quartz judge my vow.