Date:      Mon, 5 Mar 2012 23:20:36 -0800
From:      Jeremy Huddleston <jeremyhu@freedesktop.org>
To:        Rob Ballantyne <robballantyne3@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about bootup

#1 should be expanded a bit, and hopefully this will satisfy your =
curiosity about the Apple_bootloader partition. =20

OpenFirmware itself is quite complicated.  The "normal" situation is =
that you have boot-device=3Dhd:2,\\:tbxi and the second partition on =
your boot drive is an HFS partition (the first partition is actually the =
partition map).  One of the files on this HFS partition is "blessed" in =
order to tell OFW to load it.

In actuality, it's not a file that is blessed, but a directory in the =
HFS partition, and that directory is inspected for a file of the type =
"tbxi" which is loaded.  In practice, there are usually no =
subdirectories, so : is blessed, and there are only a handful of files, =
one of which is either a bootloader or stage-1 kernel, and it is marked =
"tbxi" using hfsutils or some other tools (eg: 'hattrib -b : && hattrib =
-t tbxi -c UNIX :grub' will bless : and mark grub as the bootloader).

I'm not an expert on all of this, so there is probably room for =
expansion on some of my points, but hopefully that gets you in the right =
direction.

--Jeremy