Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2001 18:02:49 +0200
From:      "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
To:        "Carroll, D. (Danny)" <Danny.Carroll@mail.ing.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipf / ipfw Which to use?

--gn1ylXQ+YRNuZICZ

Carroll, D. (Danny)(Danny.Carroll@mail.ing.nl)@2001.08.21 11:34:36 +0000:
> I've been playing with both of these and I was wondering why are both
> available?
> They *seem* to do almost the same thing although ipfw is much more
> *tweakable*...
>=20
> What's the difference between the two and how should I decide which I
> should be using...?

it's a matter of flavour :->
i prefer ipfilter, especially the logging (using daemontools' multilog
at my site's firewalls)

they perform equally, but IMVHO ipfw lacks the advanced instrumentations
of ipfilter (see ipfstat(8), ipmon(8))

> ATTENTION:
> The information in this electronic mail message is private and
> confidential, and only intended for the addressee. Should you
> receive this message by mistake, you are hereby notified that
> any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or use of this
> message is strictly prohibited. Please inform the sender by
> reply transmission and delete the message without copying or
> opening it.
>=20

uh-oh, that's not a matter of flavour.
will you  sue me now for reading this mailing list? ;-)

/k

--=20
> Microsoft isn't the answer. Microsoft is the question, and the answer is =
no.
KR433/KR11-RIPE -- WebMonster Community Founder -- nGENn GmbH Senior Techie
http://www.webmonster.de/ -- ftp://ftp.webmonster.de/ -- http://www.ngenn.n=
et/
karsten&rohrbach.de -- alpha&ngenn.net -- alpha&scene.org -- catch@spam.de
GnuPG 0x2964BF46 2001-03-15 42F9 9FFF 50D4 2F38 DBEE  DF22 3340 4F4E 2964 B=
F46
Please do not remove my address from To: and Cc: fields in mailing lists. 1=
0x

--gn1ylXQ+YRNuZICZ

--gn1ylXQ+YRNuZICZ--