Date:      Sun, 16 May 1999 22:33:23 -0400
From:      Adam Shostack <adam@breakwater.homeport.org>
To:        nr1@ihug.co.nz
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: secure backup

You're worried about errors on the tape, I presume?  You could
pipe the output of pgp through something that does redundant encoding,
such that errors on the tape are recoverable outside the tape.  There
are some direct tradeoffs that you can find between bloat and
recoverability; as you add bits, your odds of being able to
reconstruct increase.

Adam

On Mon, May 17, 1999 at 12:14:19PM +1200, nr1@ihug.co.nz wrote:
| Can anyone recommend how I should go about creating a backup to an untrusted
| machine that has the tape drive, and using an untrusted network.
|
| I'm a bit wary of encrypting the output of tar or dump, as a single byte error
| would make the rest of the backup useless.  I'd like to encrypt (pgp?) each
| file separately as I go, so that a corrupted byte affects only one file on
| retrieval.  Is there an existing way to do this, or should I hack tar or dump
| into doing it?

					               -Hume